Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In just one week...

The Things will be back to school. Hard to imagine that their summer break is coming to a rather rapid end. I'm thinking that the anxiety level here in the House of Chang is sure to rise over the next 7 days. Both boys have been reassigned to a new track, which is why we've enjoyed an extra 3 weeks off this summer. For Thing Two, he'll do fine as he knows so many of the kids in the neighborhood, that he's certain to know a kid or two in his class. But, for Thing One, change rarely comes without some level of anxiety so I'm just not sure how he'll do. He's had such a great time off but then again, the demands on him have been almost nonexistent. Sure he's had to deal with the daily demands of being a member of the family: help around the house, go to bed on time, do your reading but these are all things he does pretty much without getting anxious. We've not taken a lot of adventures where he's had to cope with sensory overload. Time will tell how he copes with the changes.

And, well I too am a bit anxious. I had my fair share of worries last year and although I've set my mind that this is a new year, fresh start, I am also really struggling with some worries. I need to just keep them under control and keep an open mind. My children deserve that much from me. If I expect it of them, then they need to be able to count on it from me.

So for the next week, we will set out to savor all the fun of summer vacation. We've got a couple pool dates planned and perhaps a lunch out later in the week. And, well, I really need to work on getting us up and moving in the morning. We've got the getting up down, it is the moving part that gets so hard. Wish us luck...

No comments: