Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Challenged By Tracey

So, my usual source for blog challenges hasn't posted a challenge for this week. So, instead, TZ stepped up to the plate and posed this question for us local bloggers. I think it is a pretty good one, hence I'm giving it a try. Here's what TZ asked:

  • As I sat here thinking, "I have no
    time to do this or anything else" because I have to clean, get some
    invitations out for a party I'm giving later and yes, start my holiday
    baking, I wondered if, given the chance, and could only choose one type of
    domestic help, would it be a housecleaner, cook, errand boy, what would I
    pick? What would you pick and why? (errand boy could be pretty buff and a
    masseuse, but that may be another blog topic)

Shortly after hubby and I were married, I TRIED to hire a housekeeper. I was working every other weekend and on my off weekend, the last thing I wanted to do was clean the townhouse (I think back now and go, what a whiner: a townhouse with a pair of DINKS. What mess was I complaining about?)

So, we agreed to hire out that service. I think she came twice before I fired her. No, it wasn't the expense that turned me off. It was the reality that you still have to "pick up" before she gets there, and once that's done, well, oh heck, just go ahead and finish up the job and voila! the place is clean. When I recognized I was still having to do the part I hated the most AND paying for someone to do the part I really didn't mind doing, well, I fired her. And for the next few months, I"d be smiling, thinking of all the money we were saving!

With that as my history, I doubt I'd choose housekeeper. Not that I'd even be allowed such a choice. I"m thinking it is right up there with "Hi Honey, I joined a gym!" And although we could afford a housekeeper and or a gym membership, my past experiences of not using either one in the manner in which they are designed, I doubt such a request would be approved by upper management (aka hubby).

Next up is errand boy. Errands haven't ever bothered me. Maybe it is that us list-making people love a good "to do" list where a bunch of stuff gets checked off in rapid succession. That's what I love about errand day (yeah, I'm some what of a fly lady wannabee: I try to do all the errands on the same day). Lots of checking off happens! Oh, just thinking about a completed to do list makes me all giggly and happy. (hey, give me a break, I"m a Martha for crying out loud!)

Which leaves me with the cooking stuff. Yep, I could so get into hiring out a cook. And on my dream team, I"d have Rachael Ray come in 2 days, Paula Dean for 4 days (cuz she uses butter and I like butter), Sandra Lee/Ina Garten and Giada De Laurentiis would job share that 7th day (cuz their egos are a bit much and need to be taken in smaller doses. I mean come on: Giada speaks total valley girl until she gets to some Italian word and it is this way over the top Italian accent. Too many visits with Sandra Lee and her coordinating cocktails and well, I'd never get my lists made. And Ina, well, she's just a little too uptown for this suburban housewife). I'd let the kitchen boys make guest appearances: a little bit of Emeril and some Bobbie Flay. Yeah, we'd be eating good in the neighborhood!

But, until I win the lottery, I guess I will keep on plugging along in the kitchen. And, like tonight, dinner will remain a two choice option: take it or leave it!

Thanks TZ for the Challenge...now I"m hungry. I guess I"ll go drool over Colleen's homemade chicken pot pie that she posted pictures of...

2 comments:

tz said...

I love Paula Dean and something about that accent makes me beleive that she's a good cook! Oh and I love that she says, "If you make this they will love YOU" not the food, YOU.

tz said...

looked at chicken pot pie picture again, and hey maybe we should just have colleen cook for us....