Monday, January 15, 2007

Can't you just hear the music?

This week's blog challenge: There are some songs that take you back to specific events, places and times. Choose one song (or a few!) that do that for you, and tell us about it.

I freely admit to being incredibly musically challenged. My favorite group? Um, don't know, whatever is playing on the radio. I'm a little better when it comes to my country music. But as for Top 40 pop tunes, I'm clueless. Couldn't tell you the difference between a counted crow from a black eyed pea. Thanks to Google, I"m a little less dorky and on many occasions I've googled lyrics that I hear and like, in hopes of finding who performs the song. Where would I be without Google?

OK, on to the task at hand...

When I listen to 80s music, I realize I drank a lot in college because with most of the tunes I hear, I think "I got wasted with Jen, Trish, and Tracy (Not TZ, because you know she was all serious with JZ, but I"m guessing had I known her then, we'd have had a good time at Boot Night!) at the Cowboy Bar with this song" or "Oh my, that was playing when we road tripped to Sheridan. Remember when we got pulled over for speeding in the school car and talked our way out of the ticket because we were hung over?". Uh...I"d better stop here before I spill all my past sins.

If I hear a classic George Strait or Garth, I"m reminded of my single Army chic days and recall the fun had in San Antonio learning to 2 step the Texan way (apparently what we did in WY isn't the same? ). Yep, music can remind you of the fun you had "back then".

Music can also make me a little nostalgic and weepy. Give me a really good recording of The Battle Hymn of the Republic and I'm reminded of my mom playing her organ on Saturday afternoons whenever her favorite team, Georgia was playing (this is the tune for the UGA fight song). It was one of the few times you'd hear Audrey cuss. And to Hell with Georgia Tech she'd belt out.

Kenny Loggins and his Return to Pooh corner is another one that takes me back to when the Things were so tiny and fragile. I'd put this CD on and we'd just rock and snuggle. "if you fall, I'll pick you up I miss those moments but yet wouldn't trade where we are now for the world.

Music does indeed make the heart sing. Even if you don't know the name of the song or the person who performs it. You heart still sings when the right song is playing!

1 comment:

tz said...

of course i would have been in highschool during your bootnight days...then again, knowing myself in highschool, i would have been there ;-) oh, couldn't resist the people that are younger than I am are increasingly growing and the people i can give crap to increasing dwindling.