Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sometimes I forget...


what a beautiful state I live in. I get so used to my life out here in the 'burbs. Surrounded by homes that look just like mine. Whenever I get away from this brownish blur of the SE side of town, I tell myself "I need to do this more often!".

Yesterday, we did just that. Another mom friend and I took our crazed children over to the foothills. In search of some winter fun, we figured they had more snow as this community is a good 1200 feet higher in elevation than we are. Not a lot of luck on the "more snow" part but we struck gold in terms of having fun enjoying the fresh mountain air. We all slept like babies.

Thing One had his first experience walking on water, and as you can see, he's not too much of a fan...especially when he heard the loud crack that comes with the ice settling. 8 inches of frozen lake water wasn't enough of a comforting thought for him as he went scurrying to the shore and watched from afar while the rest of the gang checked out the ice fishing.

Thing Two proved me right. I've hesitated to introduce him to skiing/snow boarding because I know that he'll like it more than my wallet can handle. Today, he borrowed his friend's toy board and went straight to the steepest part of the hill and said "watch me Mom". Yep, I fear there is no turning back.

Of course, with all this fun and frolic, I'm further behind in the preparations for Christmas. But you know what, it really doesn't matter...because days like yesterday are what really matters when it comes to celebrating this season of Joy!

5 comments:

Dodi said...

You are so right! Next year at this time you'll hardly be able to name the gifts you received (unless they'er from Tiffany's, of course), but the memory of taking your kids up to the hills for the day will still be quite vivid.

tz said...

love the pic of thing 2 snowboarding.....

will you be ready for the skibus next year? maybe if we send them together and w/ a couple other families we know?????

or not...

Lee said...

So worth being behind at Christmas when the kids are having an awesome break :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun....I would gladly send you some of our Iowa snow! *wink, wink*

Colleen O said...

You rock Ms Matha!