Sunday, October 17, 2010

Track Off Tales

Thing Two is off track. Both myself and hubby have been working (though Hubby was able to arrange a few work-from-home days). I offered this kid a variety of opportunities to do stuff with some of the local "off track" facilities. He wrinkled up his nose, convinced he wanted to be home alone. I figured he'd soon discover how boring this was and be a willing attendee. You know, natural consequences.

My plan? Has failed miserably. This kid not only enjoys being home, he's showing me in little ways just how responsible he can be when faced with a challenging situation.

  • First call came in earlier in the week, when he calmly announced "This is not a big emergency Mom, but um, I can't seem to get my finger unstuck". "Unstuck from WHAT I ask" (and yes, my voice cracked a little, just ask my co-worker who was trying hard not to giggle). "Well, you know that metal loop thing at the end of the saucepan". "yes?"..."Well, I can't get my finger out...oh wait...never mind...it's out...Bye!"
  • Next time, I pick up the phone and the little voice on the other end tells me 'the good new is, it didn't start a fire". Again, my voice cracks as I attempt to remain calm with my questioning. Turns out, Thing Two tried to fix some lunch (ramen noodles) and got distracted (big surprise, NOT). He soon discovered that water is a critical addition to the successful preparation of Top Ramen.
  • The final heart-stopping event was Thursday. I walked in the house soon after the Ramen incident, to discover this brave Thing standing by the back screen door, wimpy fly swatter in hand. As he tries to take on the dozen or so wasps that had flown into the kitchen when he put the scorched pan on the back porch. Good for him (and for my overall health) that the wasps this time of year are very weak (most have died off as the weather is getting cold at night) and thus were already near death as this boy tried to single-handedly fight them all off.

I have to admit...he's done really well and seems very proud of himself for having survived this experience. As for me, well...let's just say I really wish he'd have been bored.

2 comments:

shirley said...

So funny! I know all too well about the little incidents that happen when I'm not at home! Fortunately, it is all small stuff and he is learning some good life skills. Ramen noodles - the food of many college kids!

tz said...

I can't stand this age right now, this age of letting go and knowing that they can think things through, this age where they want such independence and are fierce about it, where they would rather be in the company of their friends....ACK I am not going to deal with teen age hood very well....

you have a good kiddo there martha...but i'm with you, too bad he wasn't bored!