Sunday, July 17, 2011

Yellowstone in a Day

Yes, the park can be toured in a day...but oh my...what a long and tiring day!
We started at the far north end, near Mammoth Hot Springs.

Lunch was a trip down memory lane....I took the boys over to the General Store where I worked as a soda fountain girl some 27 years ago...

The shop has been remodeled but remains pretty much the same general design.We gulped down lunch and scooted over to watch "Old Reliable" perform at the noon-time show...
Thing One was feeling a bit grumpy as we waited for the "show" and I pointed out that watching Old Faithful is Americana at its best...his sassy-14 year old self replied with a "Yeah, we could just stay home and watch it on You-Tube". * Yeah, at that moment I said a little prayer of apology to my own parents....as I too probably didn't appreciate the efforts that went into all the family adventures we took when I was his ageThe Old Faithful Lodge remains unchanged....



Time to get back on the road...(disclaimer: not on this classic Yellow Bus....but it made for a good photo op)

The advantage of sitting by the window on the fully enclosed air-conditioned coach bus...Thing One had cheered up by this point and said "Can we bring him home and call him Sprinkles?".

Ok, kid, you might be back in my good graces and won't have to walk home...

We reach the half way point of our adventure and check out the Falls.
Taking advantage of the "twin connection"...a family with young twins approached me and asked if I wanted them to take a picture of me and my twins. Who was I to correct them when they managed to capture Thing One smiling AND looking at the camera (a rare occurence).

And here we are, back where we started...Mammoth Lodge...dinner time for the elk. 10+ hours in a tour bus, over 150 miles traveled, countless photos taken...


Another good day on this Western Family Adventure....





























































1 comment:

agent713 said...

Heehee "Sprinkles" I love that!