Saturday, December 03, 2011

3 days to go

Day 28: Thankful that by nature, I am a morning person. I really enjoyed my long 5 day weekend. I found myself staying up late and (gasp) sleeping in. I worried that returning to work this morning would be challenge (or stating it bluntly, re-entry was really going to s*ck). But the truth is, I am mostly a morning person. So while I wasn't awake when the alarm went off at 5:20 a.m., after
my hot shower and cup of coffee, I was set to face the challenges of work.

Judy (holding Thing 2) with her daughter Barb. October 1999
Day 29: Today I am thankful for my health. Oh sure, I have the random aches and pains, the occasional headaches and I am carrying more weight than I should for my height. But overall, I am healthy as is my hubby and my kids. Not everyone is so fortunate....we wait patiently to
hear whether Judy's body is responding to the chemo she has been receiving. Yesterday she was due to have some studies that would give the doctors insight into her condition. I simply cannot imagine what that must be like...to put your body through such challenges as chemo, to endure the testing process and then to wait for the phone to ring with the results.
Day 30: I'm thankful for online friends. While they aren't physically close enough to be a part of our every day lives, they are still as dear to me and precious as my neighborhood friends. Instead of gathering for coffee or joining in book club, we connect through comments on blogs, exchanges on message boards and emails that all offer those same words of encouragement, reassurance and thoughtful insight.

I have a quote that hangs in my craft room....Friends are the family you meet along the way. When my mom made that for me so many years ago, she surely didn't know about Internet friendships (as Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet)...but I am sure that she'd have to agree...it doesn't matter how the friendship starts...they really do play an important role in our lives.

Thank-you friends and family for joining me on this November journey of thankfulness....


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Martha:

I am very thankful too for all the people we have met using the internet. I can't imagine having a Pen Pal like in the old days and waiting for the mail to arrive. It is so true about your wise mom and the words she wrote so long ago, and the "wiseness" that has rubbed off onto you

take care
bob
Riding the Wet Coast