Saturday, June 16, 2012

Arlington Reflections....

The schools here have a tradition of going to Washington DC in 8th grade.  We denied Thing One's request to go with his classmates as the price tag was such that I said (in my mommy wisdom) "We could ALL go for that price".   and of course, Thing One with his memory immediately started in with "remember, you said we could go!".  

So, off we went...
First Stop:  Arlington National Cemetery






As we toured the grounds, I was swept away with the beauty of this place..We wandered over to the Women in Service memorial.  It was here that I found myself reminded that I too am one of many who was committed to serving in our nation's military. 

 What surprised me and saddened me, was how we had this area all to ourselves.  Hundreds of girl scouts (they were in town for their 100th anniversary celebration, estimates were there were 200,000 girl scouts preparing to "Rock the Mall" over the weekend), swarming the place, and few if any  took those extra few steps to explore this portion of the property.  Here, these young girls could have learned so much about the  role that women have played in our nation's military. 

 I don't fault the girls themselves, but I question their leaders.  Did they know this place was here?  Did they choose not to include it?  Yes, this exhibit was a bit off the beaten path from the typical tourist attractions of Arlington, but it wasn't much of a long walk over to this area.  

It is my  hope it was a simple over sight on their part.  To think it was much more than this, is simply too disappointing to imagine.   

As for my guys, they know the role that women have played in the military.  They know that had it not been for the military, our family as we know and define it, would not be here.  

  And for that I am proud...

(trip report to be continued in the days that follow)

2 comments:

tz said...

that is very sad especially girl scouts. And yes, you and your hubster would not have not met...

ganelle said...

I didn't even know there was a womens spot there. I took a group of students several years ago and would have loved to see that. Isn't there a nurses memorial for Vietnam or something???