Friday, September 13, 2013

September 13 on the 13th

Perhaps you've heard...but Colorado has had a little bit of rain this week.
Yesterday, I headed into work, and the rain was falling pretty steady.
So not typical Colorado weather.  Usually when it comes to rain, the clouds roll in, the rain falls, the clouds roll out and the sun comes out.   All happening over the course of an hour or two.
So yesterday, I started out with every intention of completing 12 on the 12th...waiting for 0700 to open up the door and welcome the little darlings...On a typical day some 65 kids or so will come looking for something from myself or Ms. S.  
A Clean Slate....wondering what excitement would come our way.

Nothing really....not like the case of Polio we had earlier in the week.   Yep, you read that right.   A mom called in and left a message that her child would be absent second period because he had polio.   Attendance ladies of course reacted by calling me.   I calmly called mom (with yes, a slight hint of panic when I noticed he has a personal exemption for all his immunizations).   Nope, mom confirmed NO polio, but yes, he would miss second period for an orthodontist appointment.   Crisis averted...what a relief.  We are still not sure why she said polio but I heard the message as clear as the attendance ladies....she said polio.  

I of course, got side tracked and didn't take any more pictures...until my phone rang around 7:30 last night.   My employer announcing we would have a Rain Day...
Yes folks, you read that right, we were closing for rain.   Never mind that in our area, roads were wet but no signs of flash floods.   I guess enough schools in our very large district had some type of water damage that they elected to keep us all home.   Whatever, a day off is a day off, you won't hear me complaining.

So, now I have no excuse not to finish this photo challenge.   
First task is to scale Mt. Laundry...and actually since we just caught up on washing on Sunday, the piles weren't too horrific...
With laundry started and a few other chores tackled, I treated myself to a trip to my happy place...
Where I met up with this lady (ok, I'm cheating, we took this picture at Back-toSchool night a few weeks ago, but it is a really cute picture of us so why not share it?!)
And another friend joined us....but alas, we were too busy gossiping and griping to get a picture of the lovely Ms. Zimmer...we even celebrated her good news of a new job.   Night shift on an orthopedic unit:   Yep, one of those, "If you are happy then I am happy for you"  (having realized 20 years ago, that night shift and I just do not mix!)
Finished with the coffee...and made a quick stop at Safeway...
Oh my stars?!   What is that in the sky?   Blue skies?   Sunshine?
We hadn't seen this in a whole 48 hrs and let me tell you....we Coloradans need our sunshine...

Groceries obtained (at least the $5 Friday specials were procured) and time to head home where I was faced with a very challenging decision....
Finish what I'm currently reading (Fin and Lady) or dive into this month's book selection.

And the verdict?
Neither...instead....I binged on a bit of NetFlix...

And of course, since I was in a good mood...(HELLO?   A surprise day off, coffee with friends, finding a new tv series worth watching, getting a new book for book club and all these trashy reads showed up in my mail box today...yes, it was indeed an awesome day)....I said yes to the impromptu request from younger child to have his buddy spend the night.   

And while I myself have had a top notch day...my prayers are with my fellow Coloradans as they dry out from this 100 year flood...
My wish for you is indeed....brighter days ahead...
*another cheater photo...taken earlier in the month...but WOW what a glorious surprise this was to see leaving for work.   The photo really does not do it justice...the layers of clouds with the red of the sun was truly a beautiful sight!  

3 comments:

Dad said...

Sounds like a very good day.

Dad said...

Sounds like a very good day.

tz said...

we'll see how long I last on the night shift -- in theory it sounds like a good plan :D I started reading this month's book selection -- it's always interesting to read how a man interprets how a woman feels about things ;) it's certainly interesting so far.