Sunday, July 06, 2014

The joy of OPK*

*OPK=Other People's Kids

What's a picture taking fool to do when her own kids decide to play camera shy for the summer of 2014?   Why you turn the camera on the neighborhood kids...
Clearly they didn't mind that crazy neighbor lady snapping away....
Even one of the mamas said "sure" when I asked her to step into the shot...
And let's not forget the joy of OPD...
*other people's dogs...
This is Valkryie...a 2+ year old German Shepherd who was our house guest this past week...
ALWAYS ready for her close up be it in the house..
in the side car...

 or even up on the top of Mount Evans...
 But what about the kids?  
Oh don't worry....Moosey is still around...
He's mastered the art of "selfies"...
Oh you mean the Things?    
Yeah...they are sort of getting tired of Mom and her ever present camera..
I've had to be a bit sneaky about it...
Yes there is a rare sighting of Thing One...awake, moving and OUTSIDE enjoying the fresh mountain air?
Yep, we've got photographic proof that he can survive outdoor activity...

With Thing Two taking his turn at the jousting by side car adventure a few weeks ago...
Yesterday this one...
turned 17....ah yes...another chance to capture him doing something other than 
hibernating for the summer 
(he graciously gave up his bedroom for the various company we've hosted this past week, roughing it in the basement...mini fridge right out of the view of the camera)...
He and Moosey took a trip down Memory Lane...
where he found it rather amusing he's got a relative named Conception?

And while the kid has little interest in cake, he sure does enjoy the presents that come with a birthday...
And equal time for the younger Thing? 
Yeah...he made an appearance and spent some time with the family...
(we've actually seen a lot of him this past week...
ok, so he's been grounded and as such has nothing else to do BUT hang with the old folks)...

As I finish up this post of bits and pieces, I'm reminded of a line I heard on one of my FAVORITE shows. 
(Call the Midwife:   watch it, I promise you'll find it time well spent)
  Nurse Jenny Less reflected 
"For What is Joy if it goes unrecorded and what is love if it is not shared?
Yes, sometimes I'm recording the joy of my own family and sometimes it is the joy of others...but in the end..
it is joy in my life that I take time to reflect on and remember!
Make it a good one! 




2 comments:

dojo dobson said...

And you are one of the best Share Bears out there! Thank you Martha! I am going to start a new summer time tradition of printing off a photo album for the year, and creating a family playlist for the year (this needs to happen in the summertime, because I have time). I will share my playlist as soon as I get er done, having been inspired by Ms. Martha!

So, being grounded is a good for the soul kind of break? Interesting.

tz said...

Jake is grounded this weekend....hmm summer theme for the almost freshman no? Love the pictures, glad someone is taking pics of my youngest, because clearly I'm not :D (ok well I haven't blogged them in awhile).

and can't wait to read the blog about what you're reading this summer so I can live vicariously that way too.