Wednesday, December 31, 2014

From the archives of Facebook

Cleaning up some of the digital bits and pieces of 2014.   I realize I take a lot of pictures with my phone and post them directly on to Facebook.  Also, silly little ideas and remarks that the kids say, I share on Facebook.   And yet, this neglected blog is really a more orderly and timeless way for me to journal these tidbits of our lives.  

So here you go.   Reruns of the Facebook variety...
For starters, I enjoy posting some random "Happiness is" remarks.
Here's some of my favorites from 2014.

9.20.2014:   Happiness is spending time with friends, completing a 5k that benefits the symphony.
Next year won't you join in our crazy fun?

7.19.2014:   Happiness is a happy hour within walking distance from home   Thanks to MB K, whom we have voted as having the best deck in all of PV, if just for the view of the setting sun on a cool summer evening! 

10.29.2014:   Happiness is a Fall Break where the weather is as nice, if not nicer than many Spring Breaks.
*we ended up staying in town for almost all of Fall Break.   Lots of catching up to do with home chores and dentist appointments.   But Hubby managed to visit the high country and was treated to some spectacular colors up near Ouray, Colorado. 

12.12.2014:   Happiness is hearing the neighbor kids and their classmates fill the hallway with Christmas carols.  
Yes!  In today's always politically correct world, I was thrilled to hear real christmas songs, with religious messages and all being sung right outside my office!  

Many of my Happiness remarks have included some reference to fitness, friendship, and often a little bit of both.

10.18.2014:   Happiness is a morning walk with friends, destination the local coffee club where we meet up with several other friends.   Bonus:   plenty of crunch leaves to stomp through.   Yes, I am rather child-like in the pleasure I take when crunching through the leaves 
*in the interest of full blog disclosure, this picture was actually NOT taken that morning, but instead sometime in December.   However, the location remains our favorite coffee shop (where yes, everyone does know our name) and many of the ladies in this picture are part of our routine gathering of friends for Coffee Club.  

12.20.2014:   Happiness is December 20th, getting in my 4 mile walk with my friend, SR, and only needing a "light" sweatshirt to stay warm.

9.29.2014:   Happiness is having a walking friend who doesn't let a little rain keep us from our plans to exercise.   Instead she offered up "let's go to the gym".

7.26.2014:   Happiness is getting a letter from your doctor "no evidence of cancer noted on your recent mammogram".  #Mamawouldbeproud

714.2014:   Happiness is catching the mist of the sprinklers on my morning walk.  Instant cool down.

And that is about when my burst of fitness started.   You see, on the day after my first born turned 17 (7/5), I stepped on the scale.   And what to my surprise (not really, I could see in the mirror where my weight had gone), I realized I was clocking in at pretty much what I weighted when I brought that newborn home 17 years ago.   17 years is a bit too long to refer to weight gain as "baby fat".    

So, with the help of this wonderful person, we've taken on a journey of fitness.  We've both got a milestone birthday coming up this next year, and it is time we put our health first and foremost on our plate of projects.  .
*another blog confession, this photo is circa 2009

  Our go-to standard is a loop through the neighborhood.   Right around 4 miles with some serious hills built into it.   This fall, we've added in some other exercises and taken our adventure into the gym.
Yes, I've spent a lot of time at this place.
Trails Rec Center;  our local fitness center.   Yes, it is as pretty inside as outside.

All that stuff they say about exercising making you feel better?
Yeah, it appears to be true...

From my happy place...we move on to the funny things the Things say.
You may recall, that was the initial purpose of this blog:   remembering the moments of our daily life that are funny and worth remembering.

But since 2005, not only have the Things changed (many of their remarks are of the PG-13 variety and would likely embarrass them if I shared too much online) but also technology has shifted so that sharing via a blog is not necessarily the easiest/most convenient fashion.

Facebook is where it all seems to happen.     But things are hard to find later on using facebook.   The funny stuff gets buried in the quizzes we all take (for the record, my Disney Dwarf personality?  Happy.  Big surprise, eh?) and the game requests (Candy Crush?  Invented by the devil himself).  

So, here are a couple of my favorites from 2014...


  • 12.24.2014:    Thing One remarked  "I don't know who to side with.   The woman who gave birth to me or the man who controls my internet access".    Yes, my son that is indeed quite the dilemma.
  • 10.24.2014:   I commented:   "Exploding toilets and projectile vomiting.  Come on, you know you are jealous.   All I can say is I survived".  
  • 9.11.2014:    I shared these pictures, noting "From spectator to participant in 10 short years"



  • A dilemma for mom to sort out, on 9.9.2014, Captain Obvious (aka Thing Two) forgot his viola at home, had to borrow his friend's as they had chair auditions only to learn that he made first chair in the 9th grade orchestra.   Wring his neck or high five his success?
     Proud teacher from middle school, came to hear the boys perform for the first time in the HS orchestra. 


  • 9.7.2014:   From the "other people have a way with words files" fellow blogger and friend Colleen reminded us all to heed the words of Dr. Seuss.   "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened".  

 The coffee coven gathered this time for a more somber occasion as we supported our favorite Waspina, TZ, during the loss of her sister.   It still amazes me the gifts God has blessed me in terms of my "coffee club".  All I did was agree to meet these wonderful women for a cup of coffee after we dropped our kids off at school.   That was almost 9 years ago, and here we are friends forever!  

Yikes:   this catching up on the blog is hard work...I think I've about exhausted my ability to sift and sort through the maze that is Facebook.
So, I'll wrap up this catch all blog update with a final photo.   
Pretty sassy looking thing if I do say so myself.

And to think she's run out of things to say?  
*at least for now...

Until Next Year....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss Martha ever run out of something to say or a story to tell? May it never be! You have a wonderful way with words and your stories, no matter how sassy or snarky, are always fun to read. We all look forward to whatever time you are able to give to your blog in 2015.
Laura